The Use of ‘Containerised Substations’
Renewable Electricity installations have seen the new acceptance from the DNOs for Containerised Substations.
RCD are pushing forward with bespoke GRP solutions for sub-station containerised solutions up to 33kV with WPD, SSE & UKPN accepting. The bespoke build means the sub-station GRP is completely pre-installed, including all switchgear, with full functionality testing completed.
The whole system is then delivered in one complete unique package to site on the back of lorry.
Consumer’s requirement of reliable electrical supply is not dependent on the weather. RCD is acutely aware of the need to find a way to enable service personnel to work anywhere, at any time of the year and install in less than ideal weather conditions.
Containerised substations GRP solutions can be transposed for the use on the HV client private side sub-station switchgear arrangements as well as DNOs.
Benefits of these arrangements:
- Built in a controlled environment and thoroughly tested
- Enhanced overall safety of the equipment under repair as the equipment only ever travels short distances in a controlled environment
- Minimal mobilisation time since all the necessary equipment can be housed within the container itself
- Uninterrupted installation service, even under what could be bad weather conditions
- Avoids unnecessary civils mistakes on site
- Greater safety of personnel
- Long term maintenance - secure and safe storage of the breaker under repair, and a facility to lock it away inside the container
- Long term disposal and dismantle - if need be, the whole unit can be uplifted again at the end of its very long life
In essence, the use of Containerised Substations results have proved very quickly in the short term a more efficient build on site which gives both massive commercial and timescale benefits.Read More